Sunday, August 19, 2007

First posting

"Men and women born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by.....rulers. The greater dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding". -Justice Louis Brandeis, 1928.

A few disclaimers right off the bat:
1. This blog will not attempt to present a politically balanced position. I consider myself to be a Libertarian and Minarchist. The opinions expressed on this blog by me, will reflect that worldview. A couple tenets of this:
- An individual human being is sovereign over his/her body, extending to life, liberty and property
- Government has a place in society, but that role is best when it is limited in scope and power.
2. I typically vote Republican, as I feel it is the less harmful option. The party is imperfect, but I agree with more items on their platform than I disagree with.
3. I feel strongly that a great deal of legislation which provides subsidies to certain interest groups originates with the best intentions, yet the outcome often has the opposite effect of the intention.
4. I have no formal training in economics other than Econ 101 and some construction economics training courses. I am an engineer by degree, and an amatuer who enjoys learning about economics.

No comments: